Overall Purpose of the Job
The High Voltage (HV) and Electrical Systems Platform builds upon the innovative, creative, practical and research capabilities of our enterprising technical staff. The platform aims to accelerate interdisciplinary research by recognising the intrinsic synergies in the experimental workflows of Natural Science and Engineering. The Technical Specialist will be primarily responsible for developing new monitoring abilities as part of the in-situ analytical monitoring team in the HV laboratories, coordinating and interacting with researchers, teaching and industrial stakeholders throughout this process.
The Technical Specialist will:
- Be required to support the work of the High Voltage (HV) laboratories within the Faculty of Science and Engineering. The primary focus of this role will be the provision of support of world-class research related primarily to National Grid project on SF6 replacement through the development of optical and sensor setups to monitor gas degradation processes within a HV test environment.
- Be expected to play a key role in ensuring our experimental facilities run efficiently and develop in response to the needs of the research. They will be expected to have a close and supportive working relationship with the academic staff and their researchers who are delivering research projects. With particular focus towards the support of the high voltage facilities including a 2 MV impulse generator, a 800 kV AC test set and a 600 kV DC test set.
- Will collaborate, cooperate and work effectively with other platforms utilising facilities and Platforms such as Mechanical Testing, Optical and Electronic, Advanced Manufacturing, Workshops and Surface via the PPMS booking system.
What you will get in return:
- Fantastic market leading Pension scheme
- Excellent employee health and wellbeing services including an Employee Assistance Programme
- Exceptional starting annual leave entitlement, plus bank holidays
- Additional paid closure over the Christmas period
- Local and national discounts at a range of major retailers
As an equal opportunities employer we welcome applicants from all sections of the community regardless of age, sex, gender (or gender identity), ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation and transgender status. All appointments are made on merit.
Our University is positive about flexible working – you can find out more here
Hybrid working arrangements may be considered.
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies.
Any recruitment enquiries from recruitment agencies should be directed to Pe****************@ma********.uk. Any CV’s submitted by a recruitment agency will be considered a gift.
Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews:
Name: Dr Tony Lujia Chen
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date.