Have you got commercial marine/offshore/offshore renewables experience and are looking for a shore-based job with variety at a great geographical location on the South Coast within a professional team? Do you have enthusiasm and passion for teaching others?
If so, this could be the job for you!
Who we are:
As a part of Warsash Maritime School (Solent University), Safety Training provide commercial education, training and consultancy services to the international maritime and offshore industries. We are based on the Warsash Campus (SO31 9ZL) and train students from cadet level to Chief Engineer/Master (maritime courses) and new joiners to experienced personnel (offshore and renewables courses) in the 4 Safety Training portfolio areas:
- Fire Fighting
- Maritime (Survival craft, Sea survival and Fast Rescue Boat),
- Medical (first aid and medical care)
- Offshore (including Helicopter Underwater Escape training (HUET)).
Due to natural progression, we have a vacancy for a Technician Instructor (TI) to support both theoretical and practical delivery of a variety of courses across the Safety Training portfolio.
Our Technician Instructors:
- Deliver maritime and offshore classroom theory using our bespoke classrooms with extensive demonstration equipment.
- Provide practical instruction at our comprehensive bespoke pier head (with a range of survival craft davits) or a local pool facility.
- Provide open water instruction on the Solent and Southampton Water areas using outboard and inboard drive fast rescue boats.
- Prepare, maintain and service all aspects of the equipment we use (full training will be provided either in house or with external accrediting bodies).
The successful candidate:
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to join our team with appropriate relevant industry experience (including but not limited to; commercial marine / offshore oil & gas / offshore renewables / maritime safety training) that will underpin and assist with all aspects of teaching. As this job role involves pool courses (Survival and HUET), you must be a confident swimmer and due to the nature of moving between facility sites, the successful applicant will also hold a full UK driving licence. Previous maritime instructional experience would be a distinct advantage. Very occasional unsocial hours and UK/international travel may be required as we periodically undertake consultancy work away from our Warsash campus base.
With a strong track record of innovation and creativity, Solent University has grown to become one of the country’s leading new universities. Solent today is a flourishing community of academics, students and professional services staff with a reputation for the quality of our teaching, for our engagement with industry and for the employability of our graduates.
Solent has strong local roots within Southampton and its region, working closely with the city, the community, employers and voluntary organisations. The University is open, friendly and inclusive, with not surprisingly, given its great location and growing reputation, a strong international dimension.
Solent University offers an excellent benefits package. More Information.
We are Confident. We are Progressive. We are Inclusive. We Are Solent.