Salary: Full time starting salary is normally in the range £34,980 to £44,263 with potential progression once in post to £46,974. Grade 7
Contract Type: Fixed Term contract up to December 2026
Closes: 8th December 2023
A postdoctoral research fellow position is available to join an interdisciplinary team working on a prestigious UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship: Nanofluidic energy absorption of Metal-Organic Frameworks (MOFs). Our aim is to develop the science and application of nanoporous materials like MOFs in mechanical energy absorption. These materials can offer extremely small hydrophobic pores that are comparable to the size of water molecules, squeezing liquid water into these tiny nanopores can create large solid-liquid interfaces and dissipate huge amounts of mechanical energy.
If you are a crystallographer or material chemist interested in nanoporous materials, please apply! You will aim to understand the high-pressure water adsorption behaviours of nanoporous materials and use such knowledge to guide material development. You will benefit from a new lab facility, interdisciplinary research team, and world-class collaboration network, and be supported with dedicated and flexible budget for their own professional and career development.
Job purpose and duties:
- Create knowledge by undertaking research within the UKRI Future Leaders Fellowship
- Lead the research on crystallography or chemistry in the group
- Analyse and interpret research findings and results
- Contribute to generating project and funding
- Contribute to maximising research impact
- Contribute to effective project management
- Contribute to an inclusive, collaborative, supportive research culture
- A PhD degree (or approaching completion) or equivalent qualifications in a relevant area, e.g., chemistry, material science, physics, engineering
- Experience in crystallography, ideally in powder X-ray diffraction and Rietveld refinement
- Good knowledge in various material characterisation techniques
- Knowledge or experience of beamtime experiments in central facilities
- Experience in materials synthesis, ideally by hydrothermal or solvothermal methods
- Demonstrable commitment to research excellence via publications, etc.
- Ability to supervise junior researchers or students
- Management and communication skills for project management and interdisciplinary collaborations
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the above ‘Apply’ button.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working