At Stony Brook Medicine, our Registered Nurses are critical members of the team who diagnose and treat responses to actual or potential health problems by means of nursing methods and techniques such as case finding, health teaching and counseling. Incumbents provide care supportive to and restorative of health and well-being, while adhering to a medical regimen.
Duties of a Registered Nurse may include the following but are not limited to:
- Assess the patient’s condition and nursing needs; coordinate nursing care activities with other health disciplines involved in the treatment effort to relate and integrate the nursing regimen with the treatment plan for patients.
- Develop a written individualized care plan which includes teaching needs and discharge planning.
- Administer direct care when professional nursing skills and judgment are needed.
- Administer medications.
- Practice infection control and participate in the maintenance of a clean and safe environment.
- Assumes responsibility and accountability for the delivery of nursing care to all assigned patients. Communicates changes in patient’s condition and questions regarding patient care to Charge RN/Clinician.
- Develops and maintains current written plan of care for assigned patients. Sets priorities to meet the patient’s needs. Sets patient goals and priorities with the patient and/or family.
- Provides documented evidence in the medical record of patient/family teaching and their responses and understanding of the teaching. Ensures that patient education and instructions are consistent with that of the physician or designee.
- Communicates and works effectively with other staff and other departments.
- Participates in unit or hospital based quality assurance activities or committees to contribute to the advancement of the nursing profession at Stony Brook University Hospital.
Working conditions may involve exposure to infectious disease, blood, body fluids and/or tissue as well as other unpleasant elements such as accidents, injuries and illness. May be exposed to and be required to handle varying unpredictable, emergency and crisis situations. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries. This position is classified by OSHA as Category 1.
Registered Nurse 1 (T&RC)
Required: Possession of or eligibility for a license to practice as a registered nurse in New York State. *
*Only licensed nurse experience in an acute care** facility will be counted towards RN1 experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing and at least one year of previous hospital acute care experience. In addition, 1 year Med/Surg experience.
*Acute care is defined as medical services provided for illnesses that are short-term (usually less than 30 days), intense, and have a relatively severe to very severe course, requiring knowledge and expertise in the vigilant monitoring of subtle changes in the patient’s condition, as well as ability to quickly recognize and identify potential problems and conditions resulting from a previous disease.
Special Notes: Resume/CV should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine’s Employee Health Services*
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
- Successfully complete a 4 panel drug screen*
- Meet Regulatory Requirements for pre employment screenings.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access .
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewedJa*********@st****************.edu|3e337617f7e14f3ce26208db0468c7ea|eafa1b31b194425db36656c215b7760c|0|0|638108620299900651|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|3000|||&sdata=HsH4r9HoJJNFCiHQI6HjHSrpCb0wphQj3MAkJWiG/WI=&reserved=0"> here.
Visit ourJa*********@st****************.edu|3e337617f7e14f3ce26208db0468c7ea|eafa1b31b194425db36656c215b7760c|0|0|638108620299900651|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|3000|||&sdata=65gYFlb47Aj15W6C9AOIpv0LfPpnHZlJTgYHxB3GIhY=&reserved=0"> WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.