The selected applicant for this position is responsible for the instruction of Practical Nursing (PN) students in the classroom,
laboratory, and clinical areas of the applicable PN program. This is a full-time, twelve-month position. The selected candidate should be
articulate, team oriented, professional in appearance and demeanor, and display excellent interpersonal skills. He/she will maintain
currency within his/her field, including required licensure.
Essential Functions (Duties and
- Actively participates in annual evaluation process related to job performance as directed by the
South Arkansas Community College’s Annual Faculty Evaluation.
- Develops and revises master and course syllabi based upon
college guidelines and templates and provide current syllabus to students.
- Maintains attendance, academic, and other records as
required and submits all reports in a timely manner to program director, division dean, and/or other applicable college personnel.
- Reviews and selects course materials and technological requirements with guidance from program director.
- Conducts class as
scheduled and in accordance with established class times.
- Adheres to FERPA Guidelines when handling student information.
- Complies with college policies and procedures per the Administrative Procedures Manual (APM) and Faculty Manual. Also abides by state
and federal policies.
- Demonstrates commitment to the college mission and values through active participation on committees, through
service, and in pursuit of institutional effectiveness and excellence utilizing the college’s strategic initiatives.
to work as scheduled and maintains office hours as posted per policy.
- Grades student work appropriately, fairly, and timely, and
provides students with constructive feedback.
- Maintains appropriate, current certifications and licensure.
assessment of courses and submits course assessment reports as per college policy.
- Effectively manages and promotes safety in
classroom, laboratory, and during clinical experiences.
- Provides effective theoretical, lab, and clinical instruction, supervision,
and evaluation to achieve designated course learner and program outcomes, including NCLEX preparation for students.
- Provides a
structured learning environment in which diverse students are treated equitably and respectfully.
- Incorporates a variety of
teaching methods to address different student learning styles and incorporates diversity and higher-ordered thinking in instruction of
- Develops and demonstrates an established rapport with students.
- Communicates with students, faculty, staff,
administration, and visitors in a clear, respectful, timely, and professional manner.
- Uses the college’s Learning Management
System (LMS) and technology on a regular basis to enhance instruction, facilitate student learning, access data, generate reports, and in
communication with others.
- Engages in collaborative activities to enhance learning and to promote a collegial environment.
- Participates in various college activities as expected, including, but not limited to: commencement exercises; convocation and
associated educational offerings, applicable ceremonies; award ceremonies; student organization events; and attends other departmental,
divisional, and institutional meetings and activities as directed.
- Participates in recruitment activities and utilizes student
retention strategies. Advises, guides, and remediates program students as needed as a component of recruitment and retention of
- Assists Program Director with continued compliance with all Arkansas State Board of Nursing and other applicable
- Meets professional assignments in accordance with the institutions signed Agreement for Services obligations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the program director and/or division dean.
- Holds a valid, unencumbered Registered Nursing license to practice in Arkansas.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use information technology for professional productivity
(such as Microsoft Office Suite).
Required Education and Experience:
- Holds a minimum of an
Associate Degree in Registered Nursing (RN)
- Has work experience as a Registered Nurse for a minimum of two (2) years
- Possesses sound familiarity of current nursing concepts, principles, practices, and skills
Preferred Education and
- Holds a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (RN) or Master of Science in Nursing degree (RN)
- Has work experience as a Registered Nurse for five (5) or more years
- Has work experience in teaching and/or clinical
instruction, especially in a variety of areas
- Is knowledgeable of the rules and regulations of the Arkansas State Board of
The Practical Nursing Instructor will supervise students in the
classroom, simulation lab and the clinical setting.
This position is for instruction within
the Practical Nursing Program and applicable campus for which the candidate applied but may include activities at both campuses. Work
environment includes office, classroom, skills and simulation laboratories, various clinical sites, and other applicable locations. Work
schedule can vary depending on a number of factors, including, but not limited to, class, laboratory, clinical, and/or program schedule and
needs as well as college-designated work hours.
The physical demands described here are
representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: physical mobility
sufficient for long periods of office work and direct supervision of students in lab and clinical settings; have visual ability sufficient
for observation and assessment; auditory ability sufficient for monitoring and assessing health needs; and fine and gross motor skills
sufficient for providing safe and competent nursing care. The employee must be able to move around and about their area, and operate a
computer as needed. Some lifting will be expected and he/she must be able to perform expected duties of a nursing instructor in various
Local and regional travel is expected for clinical and/or other
program, division, and/or college needs. Occasional travel outside of region may be necessary for attendance at events such as conferences
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable):
A criminal background check will be
conducted for employment purposes.
Other Job Duties:
- Maintains good public relations with students,
faculty/staff, business, industry, and community members.
- Participation in professional organizations is encouraged and current
knowledge in applicable field is maintained through professional development and/or formal education.
- Participates in community
service and activities as a SouthArk representative whenever possible.
APPLICATION PROCESS (PLEASE FOLLOW THE
DIRECTIONS TO APPLY):
Applicants must complete the South Arkansas College application form available at www.southark.edu/app. Resumes, transcripts, and reference list may
accompany, but will not replace the application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications are subject to the Arkansas FOIA.
Chosen Candidate will be required to submit to a criminal
background check and have acceptable background results, provide any certificates of training (if the candidates possess any) or Licenses,
Official Transcripts (for positions requiring undergraduate or graduate education), must have a clean driving record and must complete all
new hire paperwork prior to starting work.
South Arkansas College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to offering equal employment opportunities, in accordance with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and its amendments. It is the policy of South Arkansas College that no person either employed by, or seeking employment with, the College shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, place of birth, age, or physical or mental disability.