Position Summary At Stony Brook Medicine, our Nursing Assistants are valuable members of our team, who provide empathic care to our patients, their families and visitors, with the highest degree of integrity and respect. Under the supervision of a RN, Nursing Assistants have frequent face-to-face communication with persons in care and their visitors for the purpose of conveying information on treatment procedures and visitors hours. They also attempt to encourage and support those persons who may be despondent or apprehensive. Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence. Duties of a Nursing Assistant may include the following but are not limited to:
- Change simple dressings as directed, give enemas, douches, and irrigations as directed.
- Apply hot water bottles, aqua K pads, ice bags, and coolers, and hot and cold compresses as directed.
- Chart and document care and/or behaviors as required.
- Take temperatures, pulse rates, blood pressure and respiration rate.
- Attend to daily living activities, personal, hygienic, and simple human needs in order to maintain in the clinical facility an atmosphere conducive to treatment and comfortable for persons in care.
- Feed persons requiring assistance in order to assure that such individuals receive appropriate nourishment.
- Bathe and dress, brush teeth and trim fingernails and toenails of persons in care.
- Maintain persons in care rights, dignity, and confidentiality.
- On occasion and in conjunction with providing care, may perform a variety of housekeeping and cleaning duties as related to direct care in order to assure that the clinical facility is clean, sanitary, orderly, and properly supplied.
Qualifications NURSING ASSISTANT 1-Required Possession of or ability to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities during the probationary period. NURSING ASSISTANT 2-Required One year of satisfactory full-time experience in the provision of simple treatment and other patient care services under professional supervision. Preferred: NYS Certified Nursing Assistant license or certification from an approved certified nursing aide training program, one year of patient care experience and a High School Diploma or GED.
Special Notes: Resume/CV should be included with the online application.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date).
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date.
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine’s Employee Health Services*
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
- Successfully complete a 4 panel drug screen*
- Meet Regulatory Requirements for pre employment screenings.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
*The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access .
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewedJa*********@st****************.edu|3e337617f7e14f3ce26208db0468c7ea|eafa1b31b194425db36656c215b7760c|0|0|638108620299900651|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|3000|||&sdata=HsH4r9HoJJNFCiHQI6HjHSrpCb0wphQj3MAkJWiG/WI=&reserved=0"> here.
Visit ourJa*********@st****************.edu|3e337617f7e14f3ce26208db0468c7ea|eafa1b31b194425db36656c215b7760c|0|0|638108620299900651|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|3000|||&sdata=65gYFlb47Aj15W6C9AOIpv0LfPpnHZlJTgYHxB3GIhY=&reserved=0"> WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.