Salary Minimum: Commensurate with education and experience
Salary Type: Annual
Bargaining Unit/Plan: 209, IFO
SMSU’s Assistant Professor of Nursing is a full-time probationary faculty position.
- Teach and coordinate the courses and curricula for SMSU’s RN to BSN and MSN Degrees in nursing, including population health, contemporary issues in nursing, leadership, evidence-based practice, inter-professional collaboration, cultural, ethical, quality improvement, safety, teamwork, informatics, patient-centered care, and nursing education in courses.
- Engage in essential activities to support the BSN and MSN programs, such as advising, mentoring, leading, assessment/evaluation, and as an active participant in the nursing education accreditation process.
- Collaborate with community and clinical agencies to create partnerships that will provide quality community and leadership experiences for students.
- Participate with program orientation, recruitment and retention planning and implementation for nursing students.
- Participate fully in the activities and programs of SMSU’s Nursing Department and nursing programs.
- Meet the expectations of a full-time SMSU faculty member, as defined in the MinnState-IFO Agreement.
- Fulfill the expectations of a full-time SMSU faculty member in SMSU’s BSN and MSN programs in accord with SMSU’s Assessment and Strategic Plans, as well as SMSU’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Engage in scholarly and creative activity, continuing preparation and study, contribute to student growth and development, and serve the SMSU community.
- Academically credentialed with a graduate degree in nursing and a related or nursing doctorate degree.
- Experientially qualified nurse educator.
- Doctorate in Nursing/related field or doctoral coursework finished and only dissertation/doctoral project to complete. Must have completed dissertation/doctoral project and earned doctorate before tenure. Candidates with a doctorate in a related field must have an earned Master’s degree in nursing from an accredited program.
- Demonstrated commitment or proven strategies for fostering a diverse and inclusive environment; demonstrated ability or proven strategies to teach and work with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in nursing education or like experiences.
- Active unencumbered Registered Nurse license in Minnesota or be able to obtain a Minnesota license by time of hire.
- Three years of nursing experience and a preference to population health clinical experience.
- Experience in teaching BSN and MSN level nursing coursework.
- Candidate must have strong operational skills in leadership, communication, inter-professional collaboration, and conflict management.
- Candidate must have an understanding of and appreciation for liberal education.
- Abilities/competence in instructional technology, including online instruction, flexibility, teamwork, and commitment to culturally responsive teaching.
- Student-centered and a commitment to helping grow the Nursing Department.
- Professional references of successful nursing practice.
Southwest Minnesota State University is one of seven universities in the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system. SMSU gives highest priority to excellence in teaching and preparing students to be lifelong learners through quality undergraduate and graduate teaching/advising and strong student/faculty relationships. We area a public institution offering over 50 majors and minors and four master’s degrees. Its mission, dating back to 1967, provides access to university-level programs in liberal arts & professional studies. The University has a special commitment to the educational needs of the people in its service region reflected through its curricula, cultural programs, diversity of staff and students, cooperative relationships with the public and private sectors, and regional institutions. The 216-acre campus encompasses 24 modern, interconnected, and accessible buildings. Marshall (pop. 14,000) is the hub of a rich agricultural area and offers a variety of cultural, recreational and educational opportunities.
Our benefits aim to balance four key elements that make life and work meaningful: health and wellness, financial well-being, professional development, and work/life harmony. As an employee, your benefits may include:
- Public pension plan
- Training and professional development
- Paid vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Paid parental leave
- Low-cost medical and dental coverage
- Prescription drug coverage
- Vision coverage
- Wellness programs and resources
- Employer paid life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Health care spending and savings accounts
- Dependent care spending account
- Tax-deferred compensation
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Federal Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Programs, resources and benefits eligibility varies based on type of employment, agency, funding availability, union/collective bargaining agreement, location, and length of service with the State of Minnesota.
Posting Number: SMSU2021260P
Number of Vacancies: 1
Desired Start Date: 08/12/2024
Open Until Filled: Yes
Accept Applications: Yes
Posting Contact: SMSU Human Resources Department
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Southwest Minnesota State University is a member of the Minnesota State system and is an equal opportunity educator and employer. SMSU is committed to equal employment opportunities for all applicants and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. SMSU does not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Women, diverse populations and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants must be able to lawfully accept employment in the United States. Requests for reasonable accommodation of a disability during the application and/or interview process should be made to the Affirmative Action Office, 507-537-6208. For TTY communications, contact Minnesota Relay Service at 1-800-627-3529. This vacancy notice is available in alternative format upon request.
Southwest Minnesota State University is an equal opportunity educator and employer.