University Overview: MidAmerica Nazarene University (MNU) is a private, liberal arts university with a variety of
undergraduate, graduate, and adult education programs, accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of
Colleges and Schools. Located in the Kansas City metropolitan area, MNU seeks to educate students to serve with purpose within the
educational context of the liberal arts, and a Wesleyan-holiness theological perspective. MNU has an enrollment of approximately 1500
students with half considered traditional residential students. For more information about MNU, see our website: www.mnu.edu.
Position Description: This is a full-time 11-month
nursing faculty position. This faculty member will assist with teaching and evaluation within the School of Nursing. Responsibilities
include curricular/course development and coordination, classroom and/or on-line instruction, labs/clinicals, outcomes assessments, student
advising, scholarship, committee involvement, and recruiting responsibilities as appropriate.
Essential Duties and
- Participates in the ongoing development and maintenance of quality educational nursing programs
consistent with the needs of the students and with the educational objectives of the department, school and University
- Attends and
is punctual for all scheduled class sessions, student appointments, committee meetings, department meetings, chapel, Faculty Congress, and
other assigned meetings
Follows the MNU Faculty Handbook including the
- Assumes the normal teaching load for full-time (as specified in one’s annual faculty contract), 11-
month faculty, which is thirty (30) undergraduate credit hours per year.
- Develops curriculum and delivers coursework effectively in
a traditional classroom setting, hybrid and/or online format
- Keeps courses current and relevant in content and pedagogy
- Advises and strives to retain students in the assigned nursing program
- Assists in ongoing assessment and evaluation of program,
curriculum, and coursework
- Recommends revisions to the assigned nursing program as needed for alignment with professional,
regional, and market changes
- Integrates faith and learning
- Presents self as a positive role model in the community.
- Utilizes evidence-based nursing education in practice.
- Participate in School of Nursing meetings and assigned committees.
- o Participates in Faculty Congress.
- o Participates in professional development activities.
- o Participates in
- o Adheres to the MNU Faculty Handbook.
- o Uses SON, University, and program resources wisely.
Required qualifications for Pre-licensure nursing faculty include an earned
master’s degree in nursing with a doctorate degree (PhD, DNP or EdD) preferred. Past teaching experience in an academic setting is
preferred as is prior teaching experience in traditional classroom settings as well as hybrid, blended and/or on-line formats. Strong
computer skills and an understanding of instructional technology are necessary. Applicants should demonstrate knowledge of current issues in
nursing education and practice, program/course development, outcomes assessment, informatics, and possess strong interpersonal and
communication skills, as well as a strong commitment to the Christian character and the mission of MNU.
- Minimum of a Master of Science in Nursing degree;
- To teach graduate courses, must have an earned
doctorate degree; (Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Nursing Practice, or Doctor of Education (in nursing preferred);
- University-level academic experience strongly preferred;
- RN licensure in Kansas and Missouri (or ability to obtain)
- Ability to stand during Classroom teaching as necessary.
- Ability to work at desk on computer.
- Ability to work independently and autonomously while assuming accountability for actions
- Some lifting and bending.
Application: Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. To apply for this position, attach the following documentation with your online application:
Under the “Resume” section:
- A complete curriculum vita or resume
Under the “Cover
Letter” section and/or under “Upload Additional Documents” section:
- Letter of application (cover letter)
- Teaching Philosophy
- List of professional references (minimum of 3 with phone number and email address included)
- Statement of faith (see below)
- University transcripts from all universities from which
degrees were received (scan and attach) or request mailing from appropriate university (official transcripts will be required upon
Questions about the application process may be addressed to Abigail Brubaker, HR Specialist, at ab*******@mn*.edu Questions regarding the position may be addressed to
Dr. Sarah Miller, Associate Dean of the School of Nursing at sm******@mn*.edu. Verification of credentials (such as a transcript with degree conferral noted) will be required if the
position is offered.
Statement of Faith
MidAmerica Nazarene University is an intentionally Christian
Community and desires that all employees in positions of leadership reflect a foundational Christian position in word, attitude and action.
While there is no predetermined length or format for the Personal Statement of Faith, the norm is a one or two page narrative document
describing the applicant’s central Christian beliefs, significant formative influences in the applicant’s Christian experience
(e.g., religious experiences of conversion or the affirmation of one’s faith, one’s family and/or home life, spiritual
aspirations), and ways in which the applicant’s faith is being demonstrated in daily patterns and practices.
applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Work Environment and Physical
Work is performed in a normal office and classroom setting. Travel between buildings on campus is required;
occasional weekend and evening work during given periods and travel to other locations for training can be expected i.e., conferences, etc.
Deadlines, disturbances of workflow, and/or irregularities in work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job’s essential functions.
faith and employment at MidAmerica Nazarene University: MidAmerica Nazarene University is an expression of the Church of the
Nazarene. It reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (Title VII, Section 702-703, U.S. Civil Rights Act of 1964).
Preferred candidates demonstrate a strong commitment to the Christian faith, active participation in a local church, and a philosophy of
Christian higher education consistent with the Wesleyan tradition.
Read the university’s full Non-Discrimination/Equal
Employment Opportunity Statement at www.mnu.edu/jobs.
MidAmerica is very much interested in reviewing applications from qualified members of traditionally underrepresented groups in America, including women and racial and ethnic minorities. MidAmerica Nazarene University policy prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, marital status, or disability in the recruitment and admission of students and in the operation of all university programs, activities, and services. Any concerns regarding discrimination on the basis of gender or disability should be addressed to the Human Resources Director.